Sydney is home to nearly 5 million people, thriving communities, bustling cultural precincts and Australia's fastest growing economy.
In the next 10 years, another million people will call Sydney home. To keep up with demand for new and better transport services and make sure Sydney remains a great place to live, work and do business, we need to improve the way we get around.
Whether we’re travelling to work, attending school, picking up the week’s supplies from the supermarket or visiting family and friends – and whether we’re driving, travelling by train, bus or ferry, walking or cycling – we rely on different transport services and infrastructure to get where we need to go.
Transport also plays a key role in shaping the future of our state by supporting the development of vibrant, liveable and sustainable cities and communities.
That’s why four years ago the NSW Government released the Long Term Transport Master Plan – a blueprint for the future of transport in the state. Since then Transport for NSW has been hard at work delivering infrastructure projects to transform our network and improve the services that keep customers moving day in and day out.
Never before have we seen so many large transport projects underway at one time, all designed to improve how we get around Sydney:
- Sydney Metro - a new, modern railway system running from Sydney's booming North West region under Sydney Harbour, through new underground stations in the CBD and beyond to the South West.
- New Light Rail - expanding the public transport network to address Sydney and Parramatta CBD congestion and provide reliable turn up and go services for commuters.
- A new B-Line bus service providing more frequent and reliable services for customers travelling between the Northern Beaches and the Sydney CBD.
- A connected motorway network through WestConnex and NorthConnex to join up our motorway system and remove heavy vehicles from local roads.
- A significant number of road upgrades to reduce traffic delays, manage congestion and improve travel times on major roads.
Together these projects will deliver a new era for Sydney. They will bring local benefits to communities from Bankstown to Palm Beach, Penrith to Bondi and everywhere in between. But most importantly they will come together in one truly integrated transport system which makes it quicker and easier to get around, and sets Sydney up for generations to come.
A more integrated and effective transport system will ensure Tomorrow’s Sydney continues building its reputation as a strong, sustainable and liveable global city.
It’s a big program of work, bigger than anything our city or our nation has ever seen. That means there will be disruption. We will keep you informed every step of the way and provide plenty of transport options and choices to keep you moving while we build Tomorrow’s Sydney.