The NSW Government has released its plan to provide a COVID-safe transport network.
As restrictions are eased and people travel more, it’s important to ensure physical distancing is maintained across our public transport network.
The NSW Government’s COVIDSafe Transport Plan includes:
- Avoiding peak travel: If you are not already using public transport in the peak, please do NOT use public transport in the peak. Services are already close to capacity to allow for distancing at these times. Off peak times are between 10am and 2pm;
- Deep cleaning and more hand sanitisers: Intense and ongoing cleaning will occur throughout the transport network and there will be a continued rollout of hand sanitiser at key transport hubs, including at high demand stations;
- Boosting parking: Special event-style parking arrangements will be in place at Moore Park for people who are able to drive to work. Other locations will be rolled out soon. In addition car park operators will be offering special deals for all day parking;
- More cycling and walking options: The Government is working with councils on establishing pop-up cycleways and enhancing pedestrian access to allow more people to find alternative routes to work;
- Physical distancing - ‘No dot, no spot’: Distinctive green dots will be used on trains, buses and ferries to show passengers the safest places to sit and stand. A ‘No dot, no spot’ will see passengers asked to wait for the next service. School children will be given priority access;
- More data: Customers to be given real time information through Apps, social media and Transport Info to see which services have space available to maintain physical distancing; and
- More services: Changes will be considered to increase services eg; more ferries, water taxis and private vehicle passenger services on the water.
Cleaning continues to be ramped up, with an extra 132,000 hours of cleaning since March.
Patronage is being monitored and staff are located at key locations across the metropolitan area to assist customers.
Transport for NSW has also updated the capacity information available to help customers plan ahead and allow for physical distancing on public transport. Visit transportnsw.info for more information.