During January 2021 Transport for NSW will carry out once in a generation maintenance work on the railway tracks on the Sydney Harbour Bridge.
Maintenance work will take place on the bridge for 10 days from 6am, Friday 1 January until 2am, Monday 11 January 2021.
Trains on the T1 North Shore & Western Line will continue to travel to and from North Sydney as well as to and from Wynyard Station, but will not cross the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Milsons Point Station will be closed during this time.
Extra bus services will replace trains between North Sydney and Wynyard on weekdays, during the peak hours of 8am – 9am and 5pm – 6pm.
Buses will travel between North Sydney and a number of destinations in the CBD: Wynyard, Circular Quay and Town Hall. There will also be a bus service from North Sydney to Wynyard traveling via Milsons Point.
There will also be reduced services on other train lines in the Sydney Trains network (except the T4 Eastern Suburbs & Illawarra line) which will be running a weekend timetable. Trip planning information will be available at transportnsw.info two weeks before the start of the maintenance work.
There will also be some temporary changes to parking in the CBD and North Sydney to accommodate additional buses. Motorists should always check signage before parking.
For more information about public transport while maintenance is being carried out on the Sydney Harbour Bridge, go to transportnsw.info.
Sydney Harbour Bridge maintenance COVIDSafe Travel Choices
Transport for NSW is working with employers and employees to encourage flexible working arrangements during the temporary closure.
Customers who wish to travel across the Sydney Harbour Bridge during 1 to 10 January should consider alternative modes of public transport where possible, for example, bus and ferry, or active transport, including cycling and walking and look at alternate routes where possible.
Importantly, customers heading to the airport are reminded to plan ahead and allow plenty of extra travel time.
Our travel messages throughout this time are:
- Work from home if you can (between 1 – 10 January)
- Check the capacity of your service if you must travel for work
- Allow more time for travel and expect the network to be busy
- Roads will be more congested, travel outside of peak times if you must drive
- Stay at home if you are unwell, follow the physical distancing guidelines and wear a mask on public transport
- Walk or ride a bike for shorter trips
- Consider how the changes you have made during COVID19 can benefit your staff during the public transport network changes from 1 to 10 January 2021
- Review existing policies and procedures, especially regarding working from home and flexible working during the during the Sydney Harbour Bridge rail maintenance and network changes from 1 to 10 January 2021
- Support and promote Transport for NSW’s COVIDSafe Travel Choices Sydney Harbour Bridge rail upgrade Key Messages for your business, employees, visitors and customers with a Travel Action Plan
- Keep up to date with Australian and NSW Government advice regarding COVIDSafe workplaces, transport and travel by visiting Safework NSW, NSW Health and TransportNSW.info
For more information about how Travel Choices can help you or your staff adapt to changes in Sydney visit the Travel Choices page.
As a result of the continuing need for physical distancing measures, Transport for NSW has reminded customers to avoid non-essential travel between 1 to 10 January 2020. If you have to travel, plan ahead and allow extra travel time, and check transport capacity before boarding a service.