Extra public transport will be running to Sydney Olympic Park for Game III of State of Origin on Wednesday 10 July.
Gates open for the NSW Blues V QLD Maroons showdown at ANZ Stadium at 5pm, with kick-off around 8pm. There will also be pre-game entertainment from 7:30pm.
“As many as 80,000 fans are expected at the decider and extra trains and buses will be running before and after the game,” a spokesperson from the Transport Management Centre said.
“Why drive when your public transport trip is covered by your ticket to the match?”
The precinct will be very busy before the clash as there is another event finishing at 7pm at Qudos Bank Arena. As a result, up to 20,000 people will be leaving Sydney Olympic Park at the same time Origin fans are arriving.
“This means pre-booked parking is almost sold out, so if you are driving to the game, your parking will need to be pre-booked by Tuesday night,” the spokesperson said.
“You’ll need to factor in plenty of extra travel time and arrive before 7pm to avoid the larger crowds. If you haven’t pre-booked, you may not be able to park at the precinct.”
Frequent trains will run from Central to Olympic Park from 5pm, as well as some extra trains on the T1 Western, T2 Inner West & Leppington, T9 Northern, and Central Coast & Newcastle lines.
Trains also run between Lidcombe and Olympic Park every 10 minutes and Blue Mountains Line trains will make an extra stop at Lidcombe.
Once the game wraps up, frequent trains go to Central and Blacktown from Olympic Park, and a few extra trains will run on the T2 Inner West & Leppington from Lidcombe. Some extra South Coast and Central Coast & Newcastle lines trains will leave Central as well.
“Sydney Olympic Park Major Event Buses will also be running before and after the game,” the spokesperson said.
Fans can also catch the metro and change at Epping. Between 9:25pm and 12:50am, Metro North West services will be replaced by buses, which run every 10 minutes. If you are heading to Sydney’s north west after the game, you can consider catching a Route 5A or 5B Major Event Bus.
Traffic will be heavy around Sydney Olympic Park, including on the M4, Homebush Bay Drive, Parramatta Road, Centenary Drive, Silverwater Road, Concord Road and Lane Cove Road.
“Anyone heading to the game and motorists driving home during the usual afternoon peak should be prepared for heavier traffic conditions on those roads,” the spokesperson said.
Buses will be replacing trains between Cronulla and Sutherland on the T4 Eastern Suburbs & Illawarra Line all day, and between Carlingford and Clyde on the T6 Carlingford Line after 9:10pm due to trackwork. From 11pm, buses also replace light rail services between Central and The Star.
GETTING TO AND FROM STATE OF ORIGIN:
TRAIN – check transportnsw.info for train stopping patterns:
- From Central to Olympic Park: Trains will run every 10 minutes between 5pm and 9:30pm
- From Lidcombe to Olympic Park: Trains will run every 10 minutes
- From Rhodes to Olympic Park: Extra trains will run at 4:33pm, 5:17pm and 6:02pm
- From Epping to Olympic Park: Extra trains will run at 6:13pm, 6:44pm and 6:57pm
- From Schofields to Olympic Park: Extra trains will run at 6:02pm and 6:28pm
- From Blacktown to Olympic Park: An extra train will run at 5:48pm
- From St Marys to Olympic Park: An extra train will run at 6:26pm
- From Penrith to Olympic Park: An extra train will run at 6:44pm
- From Liverpool to Olympic Park: Extra trains will run at 6:09pm and 6:35pm
- From Campbelltown to Olympic Park: An extra train will run at 6:43pm
- Blue Mountains Line: All trains will make an extra stop at Lidcombe between 5pm and 8pm
- Central Coast & Newcastle Line: An extra train will leave Gosford at 6:25pm.
- To Central: Trains will run from Olympic Park every 5 minutes between 9:30pm and 12:30am
- To Blacktown: Trains will run from Olympic Park every 7-8 minutes between 9:30pm and 12:30am
- To Penrith: Trains will run from Olympic Park every 30 minutes between 9:30pm and 12:30am
- To Schofields: Trains will run from Olympic Park every 30 minutes between 9:30pm and 12:30am
- To Leppington via Granville: Extra trains leave Lidcombe at 10:53pm and 11:21pm
- To Sydenham: An extra train will leave Lidcombe at 11:03pm
- T2 Inner West & Leppington Line: Extra City Circle trains will leave Lidcombe at 10:42pm, 11:15pm and 11:45pm
- Blue Mountains Line: All trains make an extra stop at Lidcombe between 10pm and 1am
- Central Coast & Newcastle Line: An extra train will leave Central at 11:14pm
- South Coast Line: Extra trains will leave Central at 11:54pm and 12:53am.
BUS – check transportnsw.info for bus stopping patterns:
- Sydney Olympic Park Major Event Buses start running between 3pm and 4pm, depending on the route
- The buses will run about every 5-10 minutes until 7pm. They arrive at the Olympic Park precinct between 5pm and 8pm, with the last service on each route leaving between 6pm and 7pm
- Route 5A and 5B now stop at the new Rouse Hill, Norwest, Hills Showground, Castle Hill and Bella Vista Metro stations.
- Sydney Olympic Park Major Event Buses start running after full time, around 10pm
- The last bus on each route will leave at 11:15pm.