NorthConnex is a 9km tunnel linking the M1 Pacific Motorway at Wahroonga, to the Hills M2 Motorway at West Pennant Hills. Motorists and freight transport bypass all traffic lights from Newcastle (M1) to Melbourne. NorthConnex opened to motorists on 31 October 2020.
The project includes:
- Twin motorway tunnels with three-lane capacity
- A Northern Interchange connecting the M1 Pacific Motorway, the Pacific Highway and Pennant Hills Road
- A Southern Interchange connecting with Pennant Hills Road and the Hills M2 Motorway
- Integration on the Hills M2 Motorway to provide an extra 3.5 km lane, as well as on and off-ramps, and bridge widening works from Pennant Hills Road to the Windsor Road interchange
- On and off-ramps linking the tunnel and the existing M1 Pacific Motorway, north of Edgeworth David Avenue and the Hills M2 Motorway at Pennant Hills Road.