WestConnex is the largest transport infrastructure project in Australia and a critical part of the NSW Government’s integrated transport solution, providing public transport and road infrastructure to keep Sydney moving. It is made up of six projects that will increase the capacity of the M4 and M5 corridors and provide a vital underground link between the two motorways.
- widened the M4 between Parramatta and Homebush, creating an even faster way to bypass 28 sets of traffic lights on Parramatta Road
- created smoother road surfaces and new access points to the new M4 between Parramatta and Homebush
- lengthened the on and off-ramps at the King Georges Road M5 interchange, providing more capacity and reducing congestion for motorists.
- extend the M4 in twin underground tunnels between Homebush and Haberfield
- build new M5 tunnels to double capacity between St Peters and Kingsgrove
- join these underground routes together via the M4–M5 Link tunnel
- provide a western bypass of the Sydney CBD; and
- provide connections to the future Western Harbour Tunnel, BeachesLink, F6 extension and major international gateways at Sydney Airport and Port Botany.