CBD train stations Wynyard and Town Hall are being upgraded. Improvements include: new lighting, tiling and signage; escalator upgrades; reduced clutter on the concourse and platforms; and additional ticket gates.
The first phase of Wynyard Station upgrade, completed in September 2016, included:
- New lighting, tiling and signage
- A wider concourse
- Additional ticket gates
- Less clutter on the concourse and platforms.
The second phase of the upgrade is due for completion in late 2017 and includes:
- Platform ventilation and heat relief system
- Refurbishment of the York Street entrance (Exit 3 - opened September 2017)
- Upgrade of the York Street escalators (opened September 2017)
- New lift access between York Street and the concourse (Exit 3 - opened September 2017)
- Heritage interpretation of the York Street escalators.
Town Hall Station
The Town Hall Station upgrade is expected to be completed in 2017 and includes:
- New tiling and ceiling in the concourse area
- Improved lighting with new energy-efficient LEDs
- Improved staircases to all platforms
- Reduced clutter by opening up the concourse and adding ticket gates
- Replacement of two wooden escalators to improve safety and reliability
- Ventilation improvements to the concourse.