Sydney is home to nearly five million people and is Australia's fastest growing economy. In the next 10 years, another million people will call Sydney home.
To keep up with demand for transport services and make sure the city remains a great place to live, work and do business, the NSW Government is delivering major projects to reduce traffic congestion and improve public transport.
- Sydney Metro - a new railway system running from Sydney's North West under Sydney Harbour, through new underground stations in the CBD and beyond to the South West.
- New light rail - providing reliable turn-up-and-go services in Sydney CBD and South East, and Greater Parramatta.
- Improved public transport in Sydney CBD through train station upgrades and the new Barangaroo Ferry Hub.
- A new B-Line bus service providing more frequent and reliable services for customers travelling between the Northern Beaches and the Sydney CBD.
- A connected motorway network through WestConnex and NorthConnex, easing congestion, connecting communities and reducing the number of heavy vehicles on local streets.
- A significant number of road upgrades to reduce traffic delays, manage congestion, improve travel times on major roads and provide access to the planned western Sydney airport at Badgery’s Creek.
A huge program of work is underway and this will mean some disruption. We will keep you informed every step of the way and provide plenty of transport choices to keep you moving while we build tomorrow’s Sydney.